In order to understand the nature of such a phenomenon as crepitus in joints, it is necessary first to consider what a joint is in principle.
Science About Crepitus in Joints
Joint, as you know, is a connection of the bones of the human body. Most often, we do not even pay attention to the fact that our bones make sounds. If there are no crackles, then you can rejoice – we have a good smoothness of the hyaline cartilage lining the joint cavity, where the synovial fluid actually acts as a lubricant.
Sometimes, while walking, bending, exercising, etc., the sound of a crunch may slip, but if there is no pain behind the crunch, there is no slight swelling, movements are free and light, you should not worry too much, the crunch itself (if it is not pronounced and not repeated too often) is a fairly common occurrence.
Another thing, if the above movements occur regularly and are accompanied by pain, this indicates that at the given time, there are gas bubbles in the synovial substance, which, when the joints are stretched, begin to burst, simultaneously causing cracking of bones and crunching.
Joint crunch and its main source
Despite the fact that the words “do not panic” when an unpleasant sound in the joints occurs were voiced above, it is worth clarifying that with its systematic manifestation, it is worth taking appropriate measures since this is the first sign of arthrosis. Arthrosis is a disease of cartilage associated with its destruction and further depletion. It is worth remembering that even healthy joints can creak, as air bubbles burst inside.
When it hurts you to step, your body temperature is elevated, the place of discomfort begins to swell, you should contact your doctor immediately.
The main reasons for the “sound”
- Deformation of the contact of the articular surface;
- The beginning of the process of inflammation in muscle tissue, the reason is large loads;
- Congenital type of increased joint flexibility;
- The development of arthrosis;
- Wear and tear of joints and their former strength and endurance;
- An increase in the concentration of salts in the joints.
As for the exact nature of the manifestation of strange sounds made by the joints, here, the opinions of experts are divided.
The first hypothesis is that only gas bubbles that appear in the synovial substance are to blame for the occurrence of this process, and during movement, they are displaced, and crackling appears. Doctors supporting the bubble theory insist that if the pain is not observed, then the crack of the joints can not harm human health.
A number of other specialists insist that with the slightest crunch, it is necessary to undergo a full examination since the sounds made by the joints are a direct messenger of diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
However, medicine could not refute or prove any of these theories. Only one thing is clear – to pay attention to eliminating the problem of crunch in the joints is necessary without fail.
However, bringing the joints back to normal is not just time-consuming and complex, but also, above all, a complex process, which, unfortunately, does not always guarantee a one hundred percent recovery.
Most often, professional athletes and lovers of an active lifestyle face the problem in question, so the following tips will be useful primarily for them.
Methods for maintaining healthy and resilient joints
Undoubtedly, the best method of combating diseases of the musculoskeletal system is prevention, which would be completed on time. It does not take much time and does not require the expenditure of your efforts, also thanks to this, you will preserve your health and save yourself from possible problems with the joints.
As one of the main preventive recommendations for people visiting fitness clubs or gyms, performing physical activity, doctors and trainers recommend taking chondroprotectors.
These are supplements aimed at strengthening and restoring the joint and ligaments after exhausting exercises. The composition of these drugs includes an element that helps to restore the surface of the joints, which helps to relieve inflammation in a timely manner. You can find such medicines without problems. They are abundantly available in sports nutrition stores and pharmacies.
The second option for the prevention of permanent crunching (crepitus in joints) is gymnastics and exercises specifically designed to strengthen the ligaments and joints.
We offer you an effective range of physical activity while making a mandatory emphasis – it will only benefit if you perform the exercises regularly.
This set of classes is aimed at the joint system, developed by medical professionals in the field of gymnastics, aimed at strengthening the problem area. It is universal and suitable for every person, despite their physical fitness. Training is best done in the morning.
List of exercises (in order of execution):
- Lying on the bed, hands covering the back, at this moment, raise your legs so that the knees are directed to the forehead. The distance from the knee to the forehead depends on your stretching level; try to bring your legs as close as possible.
- Standing, bend forward, the palms have to touch the floor. Watch your head carefully. It should rotate simultaneously with the body. In this way, make several inclinations at the appropriate beat.
- Standing, follow your arms in a circle. The movements are aimed at the shoulder joint, so it is important to use the maximum trajectory. Turn your head left and right. Try to avoid sudden movements.
- Shake your legs while standing. Perform tilts in both directions alternately, while the palms should slide along the body and hips. One palm runs down, the other toward the armpit. The head turns left-right during this exercise.
- Standing, raise your hands behind your back, and try to touch the shoulder blades. Tilt your head back and forth, do everything to the beat.
- Standing, hands in the lock, located at the height of the chest, elbows pressed as close to the body as possible. Start the rotation of the body counterclockwise. The head rotates with the body. Use the maximum amplitude of your body.
- Standing, grab one leg with your hand, bending it at the knee, and try to pull it as close to your stomach as possible. Alternate both legs.
- Last, the most standard, but at the same time, one of the most effective exercises is squats. You can use both classic squats and diversify them, for example, doing the first with jumping, accelerate the pace, etc., so that the muscles and joints constantly experience a “fresh” load.
This set of exercises will help you not only prepare your joints for stress but also make all muscle groups work. Carefully carry out a number of proposed workouts, increase the number of sets as you are prepared.
In case of discomfort or pain, the number of repetitions and sets, on the contrary, can be reduced, or you can abandon a specific exercise in favor of others.
It is important to stretch your muscles and joints before your workout. If desired, you can use bandages. They will provide the joint with additional protection.
Food that prevents crepitus in joints
And finally, a couple of diet tips. To effectively combat joint crunch, reduce the number of animal fats, especially from fatty meats. In general, fatty, smoked, and pickled foods should be excluded from the diet instead focus on baked and stewed foods.
Meat, in turn, can be replaced with fish (marine), in addition, give preference to dishes using vegetable oil, because it is rich in Vitamin C and Omega-3, which are extremely important for joint health.
Fish and seafood are also rich sources of phosphorus and calcium. Vitamins can and should be taken from vegetables, eating them raw. Fresh vegetable salad seasoned with vegetable (ideally olive) oil is one of the most useful dishes for strengthening joints.
Among vegetables, carrots, celery, herbs, and broccoli are the most beneficial for joints. As for the rejection of meat, it is worth clarifying that this does not include bones, cartilage, and tendons of animals, which are particles of this meat itself. For joints, they are very useful, respectively, jellied dishes like jellied meat, as well as broths containing these parts, it is advisable to use regularly.
Since one of the most common causes of joint diseases is the accumulation of salt inside them, it is logical that the intake of salt in food should be reduced to a minimum.
The same applies to sugar, which is allowed to be consumed no more than 40 g per day. As an alternative to sweet foods, it is best to eat all kinds of sweet food rich in gelatin. Juices help well. They need to be drunk regularly. Grapefruit is the best, while grapefruit is perhaps the only exception. It is just like grapes in principle, despite the fact that in general, fruits (primarily bananas) also provide joints with essential nutrients.
Avoid strong drinks (tea, coffee); try to give up alcohol. Drink more water, add spices to your food (cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, ginger, etc.).
In terms of nutrition, again, it is important to follow an integrated approach. And then you will definitely achieve a positive result.
Crepitus in Joints Source
- What Is Crepitus? By Rachel Brakke, MD
More about crepitus in joints topic: